Friday, October 3, 2008

pedal power

About a month ago my truck wouldn't start so I brought it in to get looked at. Unfortunately the problem was too big for me to justify paying that much to fix it. So I have gone from a four wheeled gas powered vehicle to a two wheeled Ben powered one. I like my new mode of transportation. I am very fortunate that I only have a short two mile commute to work so a bike really works well. Riding my bike and using the bus on rainy days gives me a real sense of pride in being green. Its very hard in the state of Styrofoam to convince people how important it is to try to be as green as possible. I grew up with parents who understood how important it was to be conscious of what we put into the environment and how we use and reuse our resources. As kids we always collected cans and recycled plastics and papers every week. Here in Oklahoma it seems like recycling is a foreign concept. Every cup that is used at restaurants and convenience stores is made from Styrofoam as are the containers for take-out and leftovers. I didn't realize the stuff even still existed here. Meaghan and I have been trying to convince our friends that recycling is something that is a simple and easy way to be green. I hope its catching on.

BE GREEN!!!

No comments: